Monday, August 22, 2011

Tot School: Popsicles and Ice Cream

A couple weeks ago we did a quick popsicle/ice cream theme. I was a hot, busy week so it was perfect for a short, fun theme. All printable used came from 2 Teaching Mommies.

Asa did an uppercase/lowercase letter match. He did such a great job. I only had to help him with 2 letters!
I bought these ice cream erasers from a garage sale earlier this summer. Asa used them as counters in this activity.
Popsicle counting cards and clothespins.
This was a fun one for him. He's looking for the right number in this picture.
Some unrelated theme activities included this Build-A-Letter book (we LOVE this book).
His absolute favorite activity of the week was bead sorting. If you've been reading my garage sale posts you may remember that I bought a HUGE bag of beads. I've seen other blogs where littles are sorting beads by color and thought that Asa might enjoy it. Did he ever! He played with this from anywhere between 15 - 25 minutes at a time....sometimes 2-3 times a day!

This is a tray that I set up for Silas. These bowls are from the Dollar Tree. If I had to do this tray again I would use pom poms instead of beads. They were just too hard to get with the spoons.
I turned into a pouring activity instead. lol
This is a popsicle shape matching activity. The top halves have a shape on them and have a matching bottom half.
This was one of Silas' favorites.
He also played with our Creation Blocks.
He also really enjoyed the magna doodle this week.
This has been his color sorting activity for a couple weeks now. We were still working on red and blue at this point. However, every color seems to be yellow to him. :)
Don't be fooled....he's not showing you a blue ball....this is a yellow ball disguised as a blue ball. At least he doesn't have a problem putting them into the matching color bin. :)
For our conclusion of this week we made homemade cookies and cream ice cream....

Mix it.....
Smash it.....
Pour it..... (not specifically in that order)
Freeze it.....
Eat it....yummmm
I will be linking up to 1+1+1=1 and Montessori Monday. Happy blogging! :)

jess_hak

Tot School

6 comments:

  1. Oh yum-- I love homemade ice cream! I've never tried to make Cookies & Cream. Hmmm... maybe something to try this week!

    Question with the clothespins-- does Asa find them pretty easy to manipulate? And does Silas use them at all? Jonathan just gets frustrated with clothespins-- they end up getting thrown, or broken. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ice cream...YUMMY! You had a great week with lots of fun activities!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadnt seen the bead sorting idea. I wonder if Charger would like that? I'll have to try! Cute week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i like silie's tattoos :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the way you prepared the activities as activity trays. It's great to see which materials were most interesting for your children! And I love the Build-a-Letter Book! Thanks so much for linking up with Montessori Monday. I featured your post at the Living Montessori Now Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/LivingMontessoriNow

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great week. Lots of engaging works.

    ReplyDelete