Monday, February 13, 2012

Tot School: The Mitten

Slowly easing back into things here in our house. This week we concentrated on the book The Mitten (we also read the counterpart The Hat). We worked on letters M and H. We had a lot of fun even though we didn't have a gazillion activities planned.....imagine that! I tend to WAY over plan. lol
This is a Read & Write the room activity from 1+1+1=1. According to Carisa it is a print awareness activity that gets a child comfortable with the idea of putting pictures and words together.
I hung up these pictures around the room of the animals in The Mitten. Asa went on a 'scavenger hunt' to find all the pictures.
When he found a picture he got to 'record' it on his clipboard. He really enjoyed this work. It was something new and fun for him (and it kept him busy for quite a while!).
This is also a printout from 1+1+1=1. I really love the real animal pictures that are used. This is just a beginning sounds match. This is the first time Asa has really done something like this. It took him a minute to understand, but it clicked with him quicker than I thought it would.

Once again these print outs from 1+1+1=1. These are story telling elements. After a couple days of reading the story I had Asa tape them to the window in order while I read the story.
We left them taped to the window and I would have Asa narrate the story to me. He did a great job. So fun to see comprehension of the story come through. It's not just going in one ear and out the other. lol
This is a whole bunch of felt mittens cut out. The object.....find the matching pair. I don't know why I insist on cutting so many things out of felt. I always remember what a chore it is after I'm half way done....too far in to turn back.

Silas actually enjoyed this tray the most. He diligently worked on this several times throughout the week.
We did one craft this week. I saw this on Luvin' my Bug and thought that it was just all around cute.
Finished mittens.

I hope that everyone else had a great week! Happy blogging.

jess_hak

Linking up to 1+1+1=1
Tot School

No comments:

Post a Comment