Sunday, August 14, 2011

Tot School: Ponds

I have decided that I am completely ADHD when it comes to themes for the week. lol There are just so many fantastic blogs out there with some GREAT things on them I just see something and think I need to do that this week. It doesn't even matter if I already have everything set for a different theme! Anyway, I thought that we would switch to ponds (frogs) this week (it was supposed to be a camping theme). It will fit nicely because Annabelle just switched over to her swamp theme so everyone will be able to do the same activities for the week. So here are some trays that I put together to reflect the theme.

Feed the frog. This little guy is made out of a parmesan cheese container. We have a game with little bug pieces to feed him. I thought that we could do this a few ways. By numbers (feed him 5 bugs), by color (feed him a green bug), or just the simple way of letting the kids just feed him whatever they want. :)
Melissa and Doug Snap and Sort.
Balancing frog/fish eggs(marbles) on golf tees.
We've used this little frog color matching game before close to a year ago. It was easy for Annabelle, but difficult for Asa because you have to match two color tones and not just one. I'm interested to see how he does with it this time around.
These vocabulary matching cards are from 1+1+1=1. The are really nomenclature cards, but we just use them for matching and new vocabulary words.
These next two pocket chart activities are from Homeschool Creations preschool packs. These last two sites I mentioned are owned by two fantastic and generous homeschool moms. I am grateful for their resources.

This is a Find the Frog game. I will hide the frog behind a number and the kids will tell me which number they want to take. This is to help with number recognition with numbers 1-20. Plus, it should be pretty fun.
This one is just matching the uppercase letters to lowercase letters.
Silas loves to dot. So I thought that I would put a frog out for him to decorate.
The rest of these aren't necessarily part of the pond theme, but just some fun trays that will keep the little guys busy while I'm working with Annabelle. They like variety... :)

Open/Close tray. I hid marbles inside the containers.
Shape puzzles.
This little book I got at a garage sale this weekend. I put it on a cookie sheet because the pieces are all magnets.
Just a different way to present this alphabet puzzle. I saw this idea at Playing House. I knew that the boys love any idea that involves their alphabet bins. So this idea is a winner.
Well, I better get hopping (haha....lame I know) :) Happy blogging.

jess_hak

Linking up to 1+1+1=1, Sunday Showcase, Montessori Monday, and Pinterest Tuesday

Tot School

Classified: Mom


12 comments:

  1. Thanks for these, we are going to do ponds in the future. Will bookmark this x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just finished ponds last month, darn! Would have love to make the "feed the frog" game. I will *try* to use my imagination and make it into something else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your trays...we're not slated to do a frog theme until next spring. But I'm definitely saving these ideas for when we do. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great trays!! We did ponds a couple of weeks ago. I never thought of calling the marbles fish eggs. (We did the golf tees too) Genius!!

    I also love what you did with the Find the Frog game. Using the pocket chart is genius too!

    Popping in from Tot School.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That feed the frog game is too dang cute! Love your frog ideas. Thanks for the inspiration. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What wonderful activities! I am no good at themes and always admire people like you who do them so well. Thanks for linking to Montessori Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE!! What a super cute set of pond and froggie trays! I also love seeing some of your yard sale treasures being used :). This would be a great post to link up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great pond unit! I love how you added the Feed the Frog game and other frog activities to your activity trays! I just added your link to the Living Montessori Now Facebook page and post at http://livingmontessorinow.com/2011/07/14/montessori-inspired-pond-unit/

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so cute! I made one for my daughter and she loves it. I posted mine on my blog and linked back to your instructions. Thanks for inspiring :)
    http://titus2workinprogress.blogspot.com/2011/08/f-is-for-frog.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just featured your post and Feed the Frog photo in my Montessori-Inspired Frog Activities at http://livingmontessorinow.com/2012/02/27/montessori-monday-montessori-inspired-frog-activities-for-leap-year-or-anytime/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, I came across your blog while looking for ideas for a frog storytime. I love your collection of ideas! Wonderful learning activities!

    I would like to invite you to link your post up on my Frog ABC's Blog Hop. My blog is for librarians, teachers, caregivers, grandparents, and parents of young children who love exploring topics with children through Activities, Books, Crafts, and Snacks (ABC'S). I think your post fits in beautifully with the Activities part of the ABC'S, don't you?

    You will find the Blog Hop here: http://librarystorytimeabcs.blogspot.com/2012/04/frog-abcs-blog-hop.html

    I hope you will link up with us!

    ReplyDelete